"If you can count the number of projects you have going , you need to begin another, so you have a varied range of complexity from the very simple 'mind-less' ones to those that demand undivided attention." (Laura Early).

Pages

Copyright: The Stitchin' Chicken

Please do not copy/reproduce any content of this blog without permission. Thank you.

Friends who read

Saturday 7 February 2015

Wye is no more !


If you remember a while back , I posted here  about Wye Needlecraft packing up shop and leaving Bakewell . After a bit of searching I discovered that they had moved to Mansfield , which was a hurrah for me as I can get there by bus .
 I said I would check out the new shop and post a review , but sadly that didn't happen . I did manage to fit in a quick visit , but the shop seemed unfinished , and to be honest I wasn't very impressed.
 To be fair , I thought I would give them another try later and then post a review.
 I went over a couple of weeks before Christmas , and found the shop closed. At 11 ish on a Tuesday morning. I did find that a bit odd to say the least , but sometimes things happen beyond the control of us mere humans , so no worries ,will try again next time .
 Sadly, it is not to be . I received an e-mail from Wye last night stating that they have decided to become an on-line store only.
 Now , I will be totally honest , I have always found them to be on the expensive side , and of recent years , the stock has been reduced to far less choice than I remember from when I first went in there , but it is nice to have a bricks and mortar shop to go to. Whilst shopping on-line is infinitely cheaper nowadays , sometimes you just want to browse and rummage and feel the silks and fabric.
 I am now pretty much limited to Hobbycraft when it comes to craft shopping, so it looks like more on-line stashing for me , and more than likely not from Wye , as I am fairly sure I will find better prices elsewhere.
 Still , -tis a sad day .

Cath


15 comments:

Mad about Craft said...

I remember when Wye first went to Bakewell. I loved that shop in the days when I did lots of cross stitch. Now I quilt and rarely do cross stitch but, still, I will miss that shop when I visit Bakewell.

Melody said...

Sorry to hear that. Yes, I agree, while online shopping is great, it's fun to actually visit a shop and see things in person!

Lana said...

Kinda like the death of a friend. I'm so sorry. At least with online you can shop in your Jammie's! Lol

Poppypatchwork said...

I'm the same, no local shops other than Hobbycraft, which is so limited. I shop on line, but get my inspiration from bloggers. I love online prices, but hate the wait. With a lost parcel on my last order, losing £26, I am now wary.

Donna G. said...

That seems to be the way stitching shops are going here in the states. There are still 2 shops within an hours drive from my house......used to be several more. While in Belgium last fall, I visited a wonderful stitch shop. It was fairly small but held such treasures!

Brigitte said...

It's always kind of sad when a brick and mortar store goes out of business. I'd be so glad if I had one near me. But needlecraft stores are non-existant in my neck of the woods.

stitchersanon said...

We dont have any LNS here in Ireland as such which is why I started my own lol

Barb said...

I know exactly how you feel. I have much the same problem! Sometimes you just need to see the fabric and the floss. It can be frustrating.

Hazel said...

I got that email too. I must say, it used to be a great shop especially their Xmas room but it went downhill when it got taken over. What we need Cath, is a trip to the US! Up for it?

Mii Stitch said...

Oh dear! I remember going to Bakewell & visiting their shop... it was absolutely full with cross stitch treasures!! I'm like you, my nearest shop is Hobby Craft & I refuse to go there as there is no choice & what they have is really overpriced... so definitely online shopping :) But like you, I agree, sometimes you just have to see & hold & just look at what you want to buy...

Chris said...

Sad to see shops close.
I hope that the ankle is improving.

Sharon said...

I agree, it's such a shame to lose the ability to fondle fabric and flosses (and do a floss toss) in a brick and mortar store. I just had a store that was previously a needlework store drop all needlework supplies and become solely a yarn store. In speaking with the owner, she said that needle workers care less about buying in person than yarn buyers do. Advanced Yarn folks want to see the color play and feel the texture before they buy.
Having said that, her store was a great place to go to buy hand-dyed or specialty fabrics but the prices for everything was higher than on-line, even when including shipping cost. Stitching budgets can only stretch so far.
Hope the ankle is healing - and is gaining strength everyday.
Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving a sweet comment - I really appreciate it!

Julie said...

Oh dear...another one bites the dust!

Karen said...

Hi, visiting for first time. Shame about Wye, but I too found them rather expensive. Online is good, but miss just browsing around the threads and kit. Hope the ankle is healing.

Chris said...

That's a shame.. I only buy on line these days too.. However I do have a fabric and wool shop near me and it's great to brows around.
Hope your ankle is healing.
Happy stitching... Chris x